Thursday, March 3, 2011

Thumbnails (and a couple of thoughts)

Posted on the blog by the requests of my friends Elize and Danielle. I am by no means an expert on planning or composition, and I am most certainly still learning my way around the issues lying behind composition, but they both wanted to see scans of my thumbnails posted on here, so here are some of the cleaner looking ones just for them.






When I jot down thumbnails in my sketchbook, I prefer to keep them small--usually no bigger than a postage stamp or two. I only increase the size of the thumbnails when I feel I have found a composition I am willing to elaborate on. When I am thumbnailing, I tend not to worry about details. I am more concerned with the overall composition of shapes or the layout.

This saves me time, so that I don't grow attached to a composition that may not totally work. It also makes it easier for me to pick out the compositions that DO work, so that I can adapt them into finished pieces as well. Not only that, but by having these in my sketchbook, I can refer back to them in the future as well.

One might also recognize thumbnails I had created for a recent piece I finished up as well, which can be found here. I'm hoping to elaborate one more of these thumbnails soon and with spring break coming up at AIB, I'll most certainly have time!

No comments:

Post a Comment